LearnTest 1Test 2Test 3Up

com`pli`men`ta`ry
      kɔmpli'mentəri
      adj given free to people ¶ expressing admiration, praise, etc
      -
      Hi, this is Ross Geller in suite 206. Uhm, I seem to 've forgotten a couple of things. Co-could you have some complimentary toiletries sent up to my room?
      Complimentary nachos! You enjoy.
      Oh yeah, you have to pay for the bread, it ain't complimentary.
      No refund or exchange will be offered on any ticket including complimentary tickets.
      "Big guy" is an informal way of greeting a man or boy. Usually it's friendly and complimentary. It sometimes has a sarcastic tone.
      Furthermore, the IMF was also complimentary about Australia economic prospects.
      Be complimentary about her better attributes, but also be real if you make those words of flattery.
      =
      ar`cha`ic
      a:'keik
      adj extremely old or extremely old-fashioned
      -
      A number of people saw the church as a decaying, archaic and for some, even a corrupt institution.
      I find the practice of swapping business cards archaic and awkward.
      In Uganda, male homosexuality is illegal under archaic laws imposed during the period of British colonial rule.
      These women conduct complex rituals complete with lengthy chants in an archaic language, passed down by word of mouth over generations.
      Compare archaic, antiquated, modern, and outdated.
      =
      en`slave
      in'sleiv
      v[T] make sb a slave
      -
      The English word slave comes from Old French sclave, from the Medieval Latin sclavus, from the Byzantine Greek σκλάβος, which, in turn, comes from the ethnonym Slav, because in some early Medieval wars many Slavs were captured and enslaved.
      As the Roman Republic expanded outward, entire populations were enslaved, thus creating an ample supply from all over Europe and the Mediterranean.
      By the late Republican era, slavery had become a vital economic pillar in the wealth of Rome, as well as a very significant part of Roman society. At the least, some 25% of the population of Ancient Rome was enslaved.
      In early Islamic states of the Western Sudan (present-day West Africa), including Ghana (750–1076), Mali (1235–1645), Segou (1712–1861), and Songhai (1275–1591), about a third of the population were enslaved.
      In 1649 up to three-quarters of Muscovy's peasants, or 13 to 14 million people, were serfs whose material lives were barely distinguishable from slaves. Perhaps another 1.5 million were formally enslaved, with Russian slaves serving Russian masters.
      The Swahili-Arab slave trade reached its height about 150 years ago, when, for example, approximately 20,000 slaves were considered to be carried yearly from Nkhotakota on Lake Malawi to Kilwa. Roughly half the population of Madagascar was enslaved.
      Enslaved people made up about two-thirds of the population in part of North Borneo in the 1880s.
      In June and July 2007, 550 people who had been enslaved by brick manufacturers in Shanxi and Henan were freed by the Chinese government.
      If a feeling or idea enslaves someone, it influences everything they do or think.
      =
      sar`cas`m
      'sa:kæzəm
      n[U] a way of using words that are the opposite of what you mean in order to be unpleasant to sb or to make fun of them
      -
      "For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?" "You have a sarcasm sign?"
      "Oh, absolutely not," Jason said theatrically, a hint of sarcasm in his voice.
      Should we be more open and transparent like Iran and Pakistan? (that was sarcasm in case you missed that)
      I mean we should all be like theists and cling to our current ancient views regardless of the facts. That was sarcasm, BTW.
      Not your best work Phil, dripping with sarcasm and an unhealthy schadenfreude.
      I initially liked Kathleen for her quick wit and sarcasm but after a while she just became annoying and precocious.
      =
      fer`ret
      'ferit
      n[C] a small thin furry animal with a long tail that people keep as a pet or use for hunting rabbits and rats
      v[I] hunt with a ~ ¶ search for sth in a small space
      -
      Ferrets have a typical Mustelid body-shape being long and slender. Their average length is about 50 cm including a 13-cm tail.
      Being so closely related to polecats, ferrets easily hybridize with them, and this has occasionally resulted in feral colonies of polecat-ferret hybrids that have caused damage to native fauna, especially in New Zealand.
      Women hunting rabbits with a ferret in the Queen Mary Psalter
      The Police Department offers no apology for aggressively spying on Muslim groups and says it has ferreted out terror plots.
      Nathan was the only operative to be ferreted out by the British, and after speaking his famous regrets, he was hanged in 1776.
      =
      chide
      tʃaid
      v[T] scold
      -
      He chided the NDC for claiming credit for the increase in cocoa production.
      I took the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) in 1983 and was chided by my adviser as being "woefully underprepared."
      I chided myself for being judgmental and jumping to the conclusion that old age was an obstacle to discovering new frontiers.
      She chided herself for being silly.
      =
      un`du`late
      'ʌndjuleit
      v[I] move or be shaped like waves that are rising and falling
      -
      It moves, undulates and rises like a tide.
      His hips began to undulate, slowly at first, and then faster and faster as he played with Michelle's precious legs, squeezing the flaccid flesh of her sexy thighs so hard his fingertips pressed down to her bones with little resistance.
      The path undulates between these hill tops, reminiscent of the shape of a dragon's backbone.
      The trail is challenging and undulates through the pleasant tree lined scenery.
      We scurry a good fifty meters to where the undulated terrain starts and find a higher position.
      =
      lyr`i`cal
      'lirikəl
      adj having the qualities of music ¶ poetic and romantic
      -
      I would like to thank Nan for not only inspiring much of the lyrical content of these songs, but for supporting me throughout this entire project.
      Female rapper Lykez is a phenomenal UK artist, her distinctive lyrical style and clever use of words, alongside her innate ability to command a stage and captivate an audience like a seasoned veteran, make her a serious force to be reckoned with.
      It is a record that resonates with loss and departure, its lyrical themes heavily influenced by her break-up with Alexander.
      Cumming's picturesque, lyrical prose speaks of the stark beauty of the Arctic landscape.
      If someone wax lyrical about something, they talk about and praise it in a very eager way.
      No one needs to know you're being paid $5 for the work or that you're writing it for a content mill. Don't talk about not having work. Wax lyrical about the freelance lifestyle and how it lets you take the afternoon off.
      =
      e`phem`e`ral
      i'femərəl
      adj lasting for only a short time, transient
      -
      In Japan, cherry blossoms symbolize clouds due to their nature of blooming en masse, besides being an enduring metaphor for the ephemeral nature of life, an aspect of Japanese cultural tradition that is often associated with Buddhist influence, and which is embodied in the concept of mono no aware.
      The perfect lenses are not ephemeral. The needs of the eyes will change over time and adjustments should be done.
      Nor do pleasures last; by their nature they are ephemeral.
      Events or information that we once considered ephemeral and private are now aggregated, permanent, public.
      Reflecting the ephemeral nature of a significant proportion of Web content, the 'Hall of Fame' web-site no longer exists.
      =
      per`vert
      pə'və:t
      v[T] change sth in an unnatural and often harmful way ¶ corrupt
      n[C] whose sexual behaviour is not thought to be normal or acceptable by most people
      -
      Maybe some of those Christians are just perverting Christian teaching for their own ends.
      And you know who should've shut their drapes? It's the perverted old couple two doors over.
      Joey has got a secret peephole! He has a naked picture of Monica! He takes naked pictures of us! Then he eats chicken and then he looks at them!
      Let's give our friend Joey a chance to explain why he's such a big pervert!
      Kurt, abrasive drunk, Lola, mind-numbingly stupid! And ok, you guys, Gold digger, cradle robbing perv!
      "Phoebe writes lots of great songs. What was that one you sang the other night that everybody just loved?" "Oh, Pervert Parade?"
      Cassie needs to stay at your place, because Purvry Perverson over here can't stop staring at her.
      "Ok, listen I am not a pervert!" "That's like the pervert motto! Yeah! Yeah! They have you raise your right hand, put your left hand down your pants, and repeat that!"
      Zip it, pervert!
      How long have you been a demented sex pervert?
      If someone perverts the course of justice, they deliberately do something that will make it difficult to discover who really committed a particular crime, for example, destroying evidence or lying to the police.
      She is also accused of perverting justice.
      =
      de`vi`ate
      'di:vieit
      v[I] stop following a course, standard etc, depart
      -
      "What is with your nose, Rachel?" "They had to reduce it because of, of my deviated septum."
      Nasal septum deviation or deviated nasal septum (DNS) is a physical disorder of the nose, involving a displacement of the nasal septum. Some displacement is common, affecting 80% of people, most unknowingly.
      For several years, astronomers have observed that a handful of the small icy bodies that lie in the so-called "scattered disc" beyond the orbit of the planet Neptune, including the dwarf planet Sedna, deviate from the paths around the sun that would be expected based on the gravitational pulls of all the known objects in the solar system.
      Had to deviate from my normal workout routine a little yesterday, as both treadmills were busy, so opted for the Precor EFX Elliptical.
      We do not think the Jackson Hole speech provided any reason to deviate from our view that the Fed is likely to launch either open-ended QE or a plain-vanilla QE program in September.
      Or the missing Na and Al peaks are indications that the tephra is not of volcanic origin. Courty herself has later deviated from his early opinion and admitted the non-volcanic character.
      =
      re`buff
      ri'bʌf
      n[C] an unkind refusal of a friendly offer, request or suggestion, snub
      also a verb
      -
      British artist Damian Hirst reportedly offered a million pounds for the full collection, but was rebuffed by the auctioneers.
      According to the author Oprah had offered to feature the campaign on her television show but was rebuffed by Mrs Obama.
      He had also offered himself to Marie Antoinette but was rebuffed.
      The decision is a rebuff to European diplomats who pleaded with US Secretary of State Colin Powell on Thursday to allow for a UN role.
      He was further criticised for not visiting the Soviet Union, whereas he did go the United States. This was perceived as a rebuff to Moscow, and has been traced to profound adverse consequences, including Soviet help to India, most prominently in the 1971 war which ultimately led to the separation of Bangladesh.
      =
      pre`pos`ter`ous
      pə'pɔstərəs
      adj absurd
      -
      That's preposterous. I do not resemble C-3PO. Don't get me wrong, I'm flattered, I just don't see it.
      "Excuse me. I'm uncomfortable with you recommending that Leonard pursue having intercourse with Dr. Plimpton, who I assure you has better things to do." "I'm not recommending it. I'm saying it already happened." "That's preposterous. Tell her, Leonard."
      "Leonard called, and he said that you were pining for a young lady." "Oh, that's preposterous. I'm not pining over anyone."
      "This is preposterous. I think you're giving me these tasks because you're afraid if you give me anything meaningful to do, I'll show you up." "Really? Is that what you think?" "Yes, that's what I think. And I'm super smart, so it's probably true."
      "This insistence on hand-holding is preposterous." "Well, I like it."
      That's silly. Almost as silly as Dr. Baker having a telephone, since telephones only existed in large cities at that time. This is more like Little House on the Preposterous.
      Little House on the Prairie is an American Western drama television series, starring Michael Landon, Melissa Gilbert, and Karen Grassle, about a family living on a farm in Walnut Grove, Minnesota, in the 1870s and 1880s.
      =
      main`stay
      'meinstei
      n[C] a chief support or part
      -
      The mainstay of something is the most important part of it, providing support for everything else.
      I have no doubt that spinning disks will remain the mainstay of the cloud for many years to come, but at the client end they will disappear.
      About 500 MiG-31s were built in the 1980s, and these aircraft remain the mainstay of Russian air defenses, at least as far as interceptors go.
      The Clansman radio system, formerly the mainstay of the British army and still in use by the cadets, is designed to still operate under nuclear attack (uses discrete transistors instead of integrated circuits), and to be resistant to chemical, radiological and biological warfare.
      For a long time kites were a mainstay of meteorological measurements, like the box kite shown here.
      He moved to Pilsen in 2008 and was a mainstay in the team that qualified for the Champions League in 2011.
      Despite his veteran age he still is a mainstay on the national team as well.
      Laptops have been a mainstay for so long that sometimes every design looks the same.
      =
      con`cer`to
      kən'tʃertəu
      n[C] a piece of classical music, usu for one instrument and an orchestra
      -
      A concerto is a musical composition usually composed in three parts or movements, in which (usually) one solo instrument (for instance, a piano, violin, cello or flute) is accompanied by an orchestra or concert band.
      Mozart wrote five violin concertos, in quick succession.
      Beethoven's Violin Concerto is unique in its scale and melodic qualities
      Haydn wrote at least two cello concertos which are the most important works in that genre of the classical era.
      C.P.E. Bach's three cello concertos are also noteworthy.
      C.P.E. Bach's keyboard concertos contain some brilliant soloistic writing.
      Haydn wrote a dozen keyboard concertos, although a couple of them are considered spurious.
      =
      gape
      geip
      v[I] be or become open wide ¶ stare
      -
      There's a convenient USB port that, unlike other tablets, doesn't look like a gaping open sore on the delicately chamfered side.
      I absolutely hate those moments when someone says something so wrong, stupid, cruel, etc. and it catches me so off guard that I just stand there with my mouth gaping open.
      Pants that fit in the hips and thighs gape at the waist, so I have to add darts (folds). It's such a silly thing to call a 'problem' - "my waist is too small!"
      With wide hips and thighs, but my waist not overly large, jeans always gape at the back when I sit or slowly ride down to my hips.
      Every pair of eyes in the room turned to gape at her.
      Often we wonder and gape at successful people and the work that makes them immortal.
      What are all these people gaping at?
      =
      re`ci`pro`ci`ty
      resi'prɔsiti
      n[U] a mutual exchange of commercial or other privileges ¶ reciprocal action or relation
      -
      In international relations and treaties, the principle of reciprocity states that favours, benefits, or penalties that are granted by one state to the citizens or legal entities of another, should be returned in kind.
      For example, reciprocity has been used in the reduction of tariffs, the grant of copyrights to foreign authors, the mutual recognition and enforcement of judgments, and the relaxation of travel restrictions and visa requirements.
      The principle of reciprocity also governs agreements on extradition.
      According to WTO rules these agreements are subject to certain requirements such as notification to the WTO and general reciprocity (the preferences should apply equally to each of the signatories of the agreement) where unilateral preferences (some of the signatories gain preferential access to the market of the other signatories, without lowering their own tariffs) are allowed only under exceptional circumstances and as temporary measure.
      In nineteenth and early twentieth century Canadian politics, reciprocity meant the removal of protective tariffs on all natural resources being imported and exported between Canada and the United States.
      The Obama administration wants greater reciprocity - including Indian support for U.S. policies on global energy and trade, India's granting of more freedom of action in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and weapons contracts for U.S. firms.
      In photography reciprocity is the inverse relationship between the intensity and duration of light that determines the reaction of light-sensitive material.
      =
      stale`mate
      'steilmeit
      n[UC] deadlock
      also a verb
      -
      Stalemate is a situation in the game of chess where the player whose turn it is to move is not in check but has no legal move.
      The rules of chess provide that when stalemate occurs, the game ends as a draw (i.e. having no winner).
      During the endgame, stalemate is a resource that can enable the player with the inferior position to draw the game rather than lose.
      By 1916, the First World War has become a stalemate.
      The Gallipoli assault was intended to break the stalemate on the western front of the monumental clash of the great European empires that began in August 1914 and quickly earned its name as the Great War.
      Mr Assange is locked in a diplomatic and political stalemate.
      This window of opportunity might close if the stalemate between Iran and UN Security Council persists.
      Management and the unions have reached a stalemate in their negotiations.
      =
      tri`fle
      'traifəl
      n[CU] a sweet food eaten esp in the UK ¶ sth that is not very important
      v[I] treat sb/sth without genuine respect
      -
      Trifle is an English dessert dish made from thick (or often solidified) custard, fruit, sponge cake (often soaked in sherry or other fortified wine), fruit juice or jelly (gelatin in American English), and whipped cream.
      Rachel had chosen to make a traditional English trifle!
      It's a trifle. It's got all of these layers. First there's a layer of ladyfingers, then a layer of jam, then custard, which I made from scratch. Then raspberries, more ladyfingers, then beef sautéed with peas and onions, then a little more custard, and then bananas, and then I just put some whipped cream on top.
      Oh my God, the pages are stuck together! she made half a English Trifle, and half a shepherd's pie!
      You can use a trifle to mean slightly or to a small extent, especially in order make something you say seem less extreme.
      When I first started reading James' explanation of Branden's attacks on Rand, I wondered if he was being a trifle unfair.
      If you trifle with someone or something, you treat them or it without respect or not in a serious way.
      The social worker is not a woman to be trifled with.
      The Russian mafia is not one to be trifled with.
      =
      re`plete
      ri'pli:t
      adj full of sth
      -
      After all, the iBook app homepage, if we can even call it that, is presented as a varnished wooden bookshelf, replete with texture and knots in the wood.
      Competitors are put through 10- to 12-mile military-style obstacle courses as designed by British Special Forces. The participants above, enduring a Tough Mudder event at Mt. Snow in West Dover, Vermont, work to pull a woman up an obstacle that requires competitors to jump to the top of a half pipe. The course is replete with mud, water, fire and electrified wires.
      A half-pipe is a structure used in gravity extreme sports such as snowboarding, skateboarding, skiing, freestyle BMX, and skating.
      American academic journals from 1959 up through 1975 are replete with the history of the U.S. space program development.
      Exploration history is replete with examples of different teams trying to reach a common objective.
      The fossil record is replete with countless global warming episodes without any corresponding human involvement.
      It's a working ranch, replete with cowboys, cattle and horses.
      At the age of 41 I ended my last relationship which was replete with emotional abuse.
      The poor fellows are starved at heart, however replete in stomach, and each starts a dog for a companion.
      Compare abound, abundant, complete, and replete.
      =
      gash
      gæʃ
      n[C] a large deep cut or hole in sth
      also a verb
      -
      Having misplaced his key, and on discovering Melissa wasn't there, he went to the closest window and tried to force - or smash - it open, hence the severe gash on his arm and wrist.
      You has a small gash on your forehead.
      As legend has it, a gash in the door that leads to University College was the result of an axe swung by Reznikoff as he pursued Diabolos.
      Measuring 9.0 on the Richter scale, the tremors tore apart the earth's crust, leaving a 290km by 80km gash on the sea bed along the boundary between the Pacific and North American tectonic plates.
      In 1961, he broke a bone in his left ankle in a collision on the polo field and in 1963, again playing polo, he suffered a gash to his left arm which needed three stitches.
      Went to slide my Blackberry in my pocket and it slipped out of my hand. Resulting in 2 big gashes in the corners.
      Rooney is back in the Three Lions squad after missing last month's World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and the Ukraine with a gashed thigh.
      Compare gash, gosh, and gush.
      =
      wharf
      wɔ:f
      n[C] a structure built for boats to stop at, at the edge of the land or leading from the land out into the water
      -
      A wharf or quay is a structure on the shore of a harbour or on the bank of a river or canal where ships may dock to load and unload cargo or passengers. Such a structure includes one or more berths (mooring locations), and may also include piers, warehouses, or other facilities necessary for handling the ships.
      The word wharf comes from the Old English hwearf, meaning "bank" or "shore", and its plural is either wharfs or wharves; collectively a group of these is referred to as a wharfing or wharfage. "Wharfage" also refers to a fee charged by ports for the cargo handled there.
      Another explanation may be that the word wharf comes from the Saxon word "warft" or the Dutch word "werf" which both mean "yard", an outdoor place where work is done, like a shipyard (Dutch: scheepswerf) or a lumberyard (Dutch: houtwerf).
      This cargo shipping terminal has a single large wharf with multiple berths.
      Long Wharf in Boston, Massachusetts, United States, c. 19th century, jutting into Boston Harbor
      King Henry's Wharves, typical London wharves converted to apartments
      A dock (from Dutch dok) is either the area of water between or next to a human-made structure or group of structures involved in the handling of boats or ships, usually on or close to a shore, or the structures themselves.
      A dry dock (sometimes dry-dock or drydock) is a narrow basin or vessel that can be flooded to allow a load to be floated in, then drained to allow that load to come to rest on a dry platform.
      A port is a location on a coast or shore containing one or more harbors where ships can dock and transfer people or cargo to or from land.
      A harbor or harbour, or haven, is a body of water where ships, boats, and barges can seek shelter from stormy weather, or else are stored for future use.
      Canary Wharf is a major business district located in Tower Hamlets, London.
      Meet the wolves of Canary Wharf: Alex and Tim insist the world depicted in The Wolf of Wall Street is far removed from their former professional lives in Canary Wharf.
      "The Battle of Canary Wharf" is a pivotal event in the Doctor Who universe that occurs during the episode "Doomsday."
      =
      husk
      hʌsk
      n[C] the outer shell or coating of a seed ¶ worthless outside part of anything
      v[T] remove the ~
      -
      Husk (or hull) in botany is the outer shell or coating of a seed. It often refers to the leafy outer covering of an ear of maize (corn) as it grows on the plant.
      Literally, a husk or hull includes the protective outer covering of a seed, fruit or vegetable. It can also refer to the exuvia of bugs or small animals left behind after moulting.
      Exuviae is a term used in biology to describe the remains of an exoskeleton and related structures that are left after ecdysozoans (including insect, crustacean or arachnid) have moulted.
      In cooking, husk can also refer to other waste parts of fruits and vegetables, notably the cap or sepal of a strawberry.
      The husk of a legume and some similar fruits is called a pod.
      Husking of corn is the process of removing its outer layers, leaving only the cob or seed rack of the corn.
      Dehulling is the process of removing the hulls (or chaff) from beans and other seeds.
      This is sometimes done using a machine known as a huller.
      It reminds me of looking at films of Hiroshima victims who were in a daze after the blast. They were physically present but their minds were far removed from them. They were just a shell, a husk of what previously had been a person.
      =
      ver`i`ta`ble
      'veritəbəl
      adj real (used for emphasis)
      -
      (To Leonard) I don't know what your odds are in the world as a whole, but as far as the population of this car goes, you're a veritable Mack Daddy (a virile man).
      "Oh, Leonard, huge mistake. There's a whole buffet of women out there and you're just standing in the corner eating the same deviled egg, over and over again." "At least I have an egg. What do you have?" "A veritable smorgasbord of potential sexual partners."
      Deviled eggs (US) or devilled eggs (UK) or eggs mimosa are hard-boiled eggs, shelled, cut in half, and filled with the hard-boiled egg's yolk mixed with other ingredients such as mayonnaise and mustard, but many other variants exist internationally.
      Mag should have another gown. She had seen some beautiful patterns, veritable bargains in the shop windows.
      The United States is the veritable beacon of world capitalism.
      =
      flask
      fla:sk
      n[C] Thermos ¶ a small flat bottle that fits in your pocket ¶ a glass bottle with a narrow top, used in labs
      -
      A vacuum flask (also known as a Dewar flask, Dewar bottle or Thermos) is an insulating storage vessel that greatly lengthens the time over which its contents remain hotter or cooler than the flask's surroundings.
      Invented by Sir James Dewar in 1892, the vacuum flask consists of two flasks, placed one within the other and joined at the neck.
      The gap between the two flasks is partially evacuated of air, creating a near-vacuum which prevents heat transfer by conduction or convection.
      Vacuum flasks are used domestically to keep beverages hot or cold for extended periods of time and for many purposes in industry.
      Thermos L.L.C. is the leading manufacturer worldwide of insulated food and beverage containers and other consumer products. The company was founded in 1904.
      A hip flask is a thin flask for holding a distilled beverage; its size and shape are suited to a trouser pocket.
      Hip flask tucked into a garter during Prohibition
      Laboratory flasks are vessels (containers) which fall into the category of laboratory equipment known as glassware. In laboratory and other scientific settings, they are usually referred to simply as flasks.
      Some flasks, especially volumetric flasks, come with a stopper or cap for capping the opening at the top of the neck.
      Okay, as, as I put the egg on top, and, and the flame goes out and, and, and the air pressure decreases in, in the flask, what do you think will happen?
      Compare beaker, flask, Petri dish, and test tube.
      =
      $