LearnTest 1Test 2Test 3Up

lop`sid`ed
      lɔp'saidid
      adj heavier, larger, or higher on one side than on the other
      -
      I could pull the sole off the shoe and walk lopsided.
      Last Sunday was another lopsided win by Travis Konecny and the Chiefs.
      He scored five times during a 42-minute span in the lopsided victory.
      Neither Briana Scurry nor the team can be blamed for their lopsided loss.
      "Finished?" asked Mrs. Miniver with a hopeful, lopsided smile.
      "My boss has people everywhere." The little man replied with a lopsided grin.
      On the issue of the lopsided development of the Northern part of Ghana and how to bridge that gap between the North and the South, Nana Akufo-Addo said there was the need for a coordinated and comprehensive plan to ensure that the North "catch-up with the South".
      This is a rather lopsided view of the world.
      =
      vor`tex
      'vɔ:teks
      n[C] a mass of wind or water that spins quickly and pulls things into its center
      -
      In fluid dynamics, a vortex is a region, in a fluid medium, in which the flow is mostly rotating on an axis line, the vortical flow that occurs either on a straight-axis or a curved-axis.
      The plurals of vortex are vortices and vortexes.
      Vortices form in stirred fluids, such as liquid, gas, and plasma, thus the vortices evidenced in smoke rings, the whirlpool of the wake of a boat and of a paddle, the winds surrounding a tropical cyclone (hurricane), a tornado, and a dust devil, and vortices in the wake of an aeroplane; elsewhere, the vortex is a notable feature of the atmosphere of Jupiter.
      Vortex created by the passage of an aircraft wing, revealed by colored smoke.
      Once formed, vortices can move, stretch, twist, and interact in complex ways.
      If you refer to a situation as a vortex, you feel that you are being forced into it without being able to prevent it.
      How Nigeria's vortex of violence is being driven by climate change and desertification?
      At the start of the film she seems locked inside some private vortex of despair. Her face is as blank as her white hospital gown and her voice is a remote, tired monotone.
      =
      re`sul`tant
      ri'zʌltənt
      adj happening as a result of sth that has just been mentioned
      also a noun
      -
      A resultant force, also called a net force, is a force equal to the sum of all forces applied to an object.
      Worried by the incessant attack and its resultant effect on his country's economy, President Boni Yayi, as gathered, visited France for support recently.
      Since 3.3 Mha of farmland were irrigated with sewage water in 1992, we estimate the resultant loss of grain yields was 690,000 tonnes.
      The resultant increase in the price of heavy crude is estimated to provide an increase in annual revenue to the Canadian producing industry in 2013 of US $2 billion to US $3.9 billion.
      The economic loss resultant from rabbits in terms of overall loss in productivity has never been accurately estimated partly because losses vary sharply in different climatic zones, seasons, and pasture types and with the degree of rabbit infestation.
      In mathematics, the resultant of two polynomials is a polynomial expression of their coefficients.
      Compare consequent, resultant, and sequent.
      =
      har`ry
      'hæri
      v[T] keep attacking an enemy ¶ annoy or upset sb by continuously asking them questions or for sth
      -
      Meanwhile the great Dervish army, which had advanced at sunrise in hope and courage, fled in utter rout, pursued by the Egyptian cavalry, harried by the 21st Lancers, and leaving more than 9,000 warriors dead and even greater numbers wounded behind them.
      But a month before the deadline, harried and stressed, they were too busy proofreading, researching, and hiring consultants to worry about global schemas.
      At 5.45 am on a rainy morning, Suresh Harijan maneuvers a big yellow bus out of a parking lot in Lokhandwala and heads to his first pick-up spot a few minutes away. There, sleepy children and harried parents have lined up and are waiting.
      Press reports portray a harried and underfunded force, overwhelmed by the problems of the Downtown Eastside.
      Harry Potter was harried by Harry The Potty Mouth.
      Compare badger, harass, harry, hassle, raid, and plunder.
      =
      con`su`late
      'kansəlit
      n[C] the building in which a consul lives and works
      -
      The office of a Consul is termed a Consulate, and is usually subordinate to the state's main representation in that foreign country, usually an Embassy, or High Commission between Commonwealth countries, in the capital city of the host state.
      Like the term embassy, the word consulate may refer not only to the office of consul, but also to the building occupied by the consul and his or her staff.
      The consulate may share premises with the embassy itself.
      A consul of higher rank is termed a consul-general, and his or her office a consulate-general.
      He or she typically has one or several Deputy Consuls-General, Consuls, Vice-Consuls and Consular Agents working under the consul-general.
      Chased by police, Jason is then pursued through a U.S. consulate but manages to evade capture.
      He encounters a German woman named Marie Helena Kreutz, offering her $20,000 to drive him to the address in Paris on his French driving license.
      The Bourne Identity is a 2002 American-German action spy film.
      =
      ta`cit
      'tæsit
      adj expressed or understood without being said directly, implied
      -
      Tacit knowledge (as opposed to formal, codified or explicit knowledge) is the kind of knowledge that is difficult to transfer to another person by means of writing it down or verbalizing it.
      For example, stating to someone that London is in the United Kingdom is a piece of explicit knowledge that can be written down, transmitted, and understood by a recipient.
      However, the ability to speak a language, knead dough, use algebra, or design and use complex equipment requires all sorts of knowledge that is not always known explicitly, even by expert practitioners, and which is difficult or impossible to explicitly transfer to other users.
      The purpose of this paper is to examine the use of tacit knowledge within innovative organizations. It addresses what organizations can do to promote knowledge sharing in order to improve successful innovation.
      If you read between the lines you can almost imagine a tacit approval of drugs which don't violate copyright law.
      Even while formally denying that the war against Iraq was in pursuit of regime change, and that he had agreed to such a war when meeting with President Bush at his Crawford ranch in the spring of 2002, he repeatedly gave tacit support to the US policy of pre-emptive war.
      Maintaining nuclear trade with Tehran enabled Putin to cement a tacit agreement in which Iran declines to interfere in Chechnya and other Islamist causes which threaten Russia.
      It was a tacit admission the economy is too iffy to allow the Bank of Canada to raise interest rates, which would drive up borrowing costs and reduce the risk of too high inflation in real estate.
      =
      chafe
      tʃeif
      v[IT] warm a part of the body by rubbing ¶ become sore by rubbing ¶ feel impatient or annoyed
      -
      "It's my pattern. I break up, then I find some cute guy, and then it's just 36 meaningless hours of... you know. And trust me, you do not feel good after it." "Well, chafing, right?" "Emotionally." "Of course, yeah, emotional chafing."
      Her skin chafes easily.
      My turtleneck collar chafed my neck.
      Then again, Israel is chafing at the sporadic missile salvoes that have disrupted life in its south.
      This is the heart of teen rebellion, chafing against the restrictions and requirements imposed by any and all authorities.
      Young people in particular chafed under the Ba'ath party's rule in Syria exactly as they chafed against "Delhi's rule" in Kashmir.
      Compare chafe and vex.
      =
      stam`pede
      stæm'pi:d
      n[C] If there is a ~, a group of people or animals run in a wild, uncontrolled way
      also a verb
      -
      A stampede is an act of mass impulse among herd animals or a crowd of people in which the herd (or crowd) collectively begins running with no clear direction or purpose.
      Species associated with stampede behavior include cattle, elephants, blue wildebeests, walruses, wild horses, rhinoceros, and humans.
      Anything unusual may start a stampede among cattle.
      A large stampede typically eliminates everything in its path.
      Animals that stampede, especially cattle, are less likely to do so after having eaten and spread out in smaller groups to digest.
      To further reduce the risk of stampedes, cowboys sometimes sing or whistle to calm the herds disquieted by nightfall.
      Sometimes people purposefully induce cattle to stampede as a component of warfare or hunting, such as some Native Americans, who were known to cause American bison to kill themselves at a buffalo jump.
      A buffalo jump is a cliff formation which Native Americans historically used in order to hunt and kill plains bison in mass quantities.
      Human stampedes most often occur during religious pilgrimages and professional sporting and music events, as these events tend to involve a large number of people.
      Deaths from human stampedes occur primarily from compressive asphyxiation and not trampling.
      Compressive asphyxia (also called chest compression) is mechanically limiting expansion of the lungs by compressing the torso, hence interfering with breathing.
      On December 31, 2014, a deadly stampede occurred in Shanghai, near Chen Yi Square on the Bund, where around 300,000 people had gathered for the new year celebration.
      36 people were killed and there were 49 injured, 13 seriously.
      Jumanji is a 1995 American/Australian fantasy adventure film directed by Joe Johnston.
      =
      de`hy`drate
      di:'haidreit
      v[IT] lose/remove water or moisture
      -
      "Hey gorgeous, how's it going?" "Dehydrated Japanese noodles under fluorescent lights."
      "Eddie what're you still doing here?" "Ah, just some basic dehydrating of a few fruits and vegetables."
      "I was dangerously dehydrated during the first six months of our relationship," said Chandler.
      Did you bring the dehydrated low-sodium soy sauce?
      I'm severely dehydrated. My pee is like toothpaste.
      =
      garb
      ga:b
      n[U] a particular style of clothing, attire
      also a verb
      -
      They still dress in traditional garb, rich in colour and accented with jewellery.
      By the commandment of Jesus we are not to wear special religious clothing, have special places of honor, and use special religious titles to distinguish ourselves above other brethren. We are all brothers (Matthew 23:5-12). But many have set aside this commandment of Jesus by wearing special clerical garb, having special seats of honor and using religious courtesy titles.
      Security forces displayed her lifeless body dressed in military garb, in order to give the impression that she was a guerilla dressed in combat.
      Syria's President Assad sees Mr Mubarak in prison garb, displayed in a cage, and decides with utter determinAation that this will not happen to him.
      In the movie 'Men In Black', these gentlemen are portrayed as serious-looking agents garbed in black suits.
      =
      in`ver`te`brate
      in'və:tibrit
      n[C] an animal without a backbone
      -
      Familiar examples of invertebrates include insects, crabs, lobsters and their kin, snails, clams, octopuses and their kin, starfish, sea-urchins and their kin, and worms.
      The majority of animal species are invertebrates. One estimate puts the figure at 97%.
      Invertebrates don't have a skeleton of bone, either internal or external.
      The trait that is common to all invertebrates is the absence of a vertebral column: this creates a distinction between invertebrates and vertebrates.
      Social behavior is widespread in invertebrates, including cockroaches, termites, aphids, thrips, ants, bees, Passalidae, Acari, spiders, and more.
      =
      mis`giv`ing
      mis'giviŋ
      n[UC] a feeling of doubt, distrust, or apprehension
      -
      I felt, as a woman leader, there was always a certain misgiving among the men who follow.
      On 8 May, with much misgiving, Macdonald signed the Treaty of Washington.
      His film 'My Name Is Khan' was an attempt to clear the misgiving about Islam and Muslims around the world.
      Let me also dispel a misgiving some people have tried to create regarding such extraordinary increase in remittances.
      A slight misgiving found place in Joan Durbeyfield's mind.
      =
      in`def`i`nite
      in'defənit
      adj continuing into the future with no fixed end ¶ not clear or exact, vague
      -
      Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) or permanent residency (PR) is an immigration status granted to a person who does not hold the right of abode in the United Kingdom (UK), but who has been admitted to the UK without any time limit on his or her stay and who is free to take up employment or study, without restriction.
      When indefinite leave is granted to persons outside the United Kingdom it is known as indefinite leave to enter (ILE).
      I'm going to be traveling through Africa for an indefinite period of time.
      Obama signed the NDAA - including a provision allowing the indefinite detention of Americans - on New Year's eve.
      The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) is a United States federal law specifying the budget and expenditures of the United States Department of Defense.
      NSAIDs can be used for an indefinite number of menstrual cycles, as long as they are relieving symptoms of heavy blood loss and are not causing significant adverse side effects.
      Rather, the US intends to retain its nuclear deterrent into the indefinite future.
      A whole week has passed since the Palestinian inmates in Israeli prisons started their indefinite hunger strike in a symbolic "uprising" against their jailers' cruelty.
      Compare indefinite and infinite.
      =
      pre`text
      'pri:tekst
      n[C] a false reason given for an action, in order to hide the real reason, excuse
      -
      "Just so we're clear, you understand that me hanging back to practice with you is a pretext for letting you know that I'm sexually available," said Leslie.
      Penny, under what pretext did you lure Amy here?
      In November 1897, Germany occupied Qingdao by force on the pretext of the Juye Litigation over religious disputes.
      Juye (Chinese: 巨野) is a county in western Shandong province which is under the administration of Heze municipality.
      The humanitarian assistance now being doled out to Haiti will serve as a pretext for a final US annexation of the country.
      They were relocated under the pretext that they were going to get clean water, health clinics built for them, schools for their children - but none of that happened.
      A vast acreage of landed property has been confiscated under this pretext.
      =
      key`note
      'ki:nəut
      n[C] the most important feature of sth
      also a verb
      -
      A keynote in literature, music, or public speaking is a talk that establishes the main underlying theme.
      In corporate or commercial settings, greater importance is attached to the delivery of a keynote speech or keynote address.
      The keynote establishes the framework for the following program of events or convention agenda; frequently the role of keynote speaker will include that of convention moderator.
      At political or industrial conventions and expositions and at academic conferences, the keynote address or keynote speech is delivered to set the underlying tone and summarize the core message or most important revelation of the event.
      Some of the more famous keynote speeches in the United States are those made at the party conventions during Democratic and Republican presidential campaigns.
      Keynote speakers at these events have often gained nationwide fame (or notoriety); for example, Barack Obama at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and have occasionally influenced the course of the election.
      In the commercial arena, Steve Jobs delivered influential keynote speeches at Apple product, system and service launches.
      Keynote speeches are also given at the graduation and commencement ceremonies of colleges, universities, and major high schools, usually by accomplished academics or celebrities invited by the student body.
      Guess who's up for keynote speaker at the National Paleontology Conference?
      Ross is meeting with professor Sherman about my being the keynote speaker.
      I've been following your career for years, I can't wait for your keynote speech.
      This conference is kind of a big thing. The keynote address is being delivered by George Smoot.
      "I hope we get there in time to see the keynote address." "Really? You wanna see the keynote?" "Yeah, it sounds fun. Super bacteria: global apocalypse or exciting research opportunity?"
      =
      re`fresh`ment
      ri'freʃmənt
      n[U] the experience of being made to feel less tired or hot ¶ food and drink
      n[pl] snacks
      -
      The imagination is a faculty that soon tires and needs rest and refreshment.
      Change any power increasing drinks you take for the refreshment of your health with juice and feel the difference.
      There are plenty of lovely villages where you can stop for refreshment.
      She soothed me right gently; and, leading me into a room, made me lie down on a settle, while she went to find me some refreshment.
      Raj had left the refreshment stand in order to indulge in his customary preemptive pre-show urination.
      All right, Ms Jenson. Uh, before we begin, may I offer you a refreshment? Water, coffee, tea, a marijuana cigarette?
      =
      gla`cial
      'gleiʃəl
      adj made or left by a glacier ¶ extremely slow ¶ icy
      -
      Matthias Kuhle's geological theory of Ice Age development was suggested by the existence of an ice sheet covering the Tibetan plateau during the Ice Ages (Last Glacial Maximum?).
      The Last Glacial Maximum (LGM) was a period in the Earth's climate history when ice sheets were at their most recent maximum extension, between 26,500 and 19,000–20,000 years ago, marking the peak of the last glacial period.
      In his overdue-glaciation hypothesis Ruddiman states that an incipient glacial would probably have begun several thousand years ago, but the arrival of that scheduled glacial was forestalled by the activities of early farmers.
      Within a long-term ice age, individual pulses of cold climate are termed "glacial periods" (or alternatively "glacials" or "glaciations" or colloquially as "ice age"), and intermittent warm periods are called "interglacials".
      A warmer atmosphere heated the oceans making them much less efficient storehouses of carbon dioxide and reinforcing global warming, possibly forestalling the onset of a new glacial age.
      The sun was out once again and the glacier was beautiful! We walked to it and on it for 2 hours, exploring caves and even drinking glacial water.
      So far, the plans have moved at glacial speed and few parts of the open space network have been constructed.
      Well, off the top of my head, you know, I think the most important thing with Penny is to go really slow. I mean, glacial.
      =
      per`se`vere
      pə:si'viə
      v[I] continue trying to achieve sth difficult
      -
      It can give us courage - to persevere in the face of illness, misfortune, failure and loss.
      It can take several weeks for these medications to become really effective and it is important to persevere.
      Many men persevere with the status of warriorhood, though modern Kenya makes few concessions to it.
      Goals help you persevere through the tough times because your efforts are part of a larger picture.
      Since Robin and I agreed to persevere through the physical separation, we now make the three-hour drive at every chance that either one gets just to be together.
      Compare hang in (there), persevere, and persist.
      =
      ob`nox`ious
      əb'nɔkʃəs
      adj very offensive, unpleasant, or rude
      -
      Do you have a drink that will make Sheldon less obnoxious?
      Seldon, you remember the first few weeks we were looking for magnetic monopoles and not finding anything and you were acting like an obnoxious, giant dictator?
      Wow, that's all you got after you were the most obnoxious person on a double date that included Howard Wolowitz?
      The other girl was loud, boisterous, and a bit obnoxious.
      When I hear a loud, obnoxious, and clearly American tourist, I can't help but roll my eyes and think, "Ugh. Americans."
      =
      per`pen`dic`u`lar
      pə:pən'dikjulə
      adj forming a right angle to another/a horizontal line or surface
      n[s] ~ line, position, or direction
      -
      In elementary geometry, the property of being perpendicular (perpendicularity) is the relationship between two lines which meet at a right angle (90 degrees).
      A line is said to be perpendicular to another line if the two lines intersect at a right angle.
      Explicitly, a first line is perpendicular to a second line if (1) the two lines meet; and (2) at the point of intersection the straight angle on one side of the first line is cut by the second line into two congruent angles.
      Perpendicularity can be shown to be symmetric, meaning if a first line is perpendicular to a second line, then the second line is also perpendicular to the first.
      In Euclidean geometry, any two lines that are both perpendicular to a third line are parallel to each other, because of the parallel postulate.
      Draw a perpendicular from the center of the circle to the third side of the triangle.
      A perpendicular line from the apex of the triangle to the base would cut the base in golden section.
      Since lift always occurs perpendicular to the surface of the wing, the lift acts at an angle and the plane turns accordingly.
      It made me feel dizzy to look at the white buildings perched on the perpendicular side.
      =
      mys`ti`fy
      'mistifai
      v[T] baffle
      -
      If someone or something mystifies you, you cannot understand or explain it.
      I was mystified by this hilarity.
      I was mystified by the adaptation.
      Americans by now are accustomed to the burdens of voter registration: find out how to register; fill out the paperwork; hope to see your name on the rolls when you show up at the polls. But to most people throughout the world, the U.S. system is mystifying.
      If you haven't seen the Star Wars movies, you'll probably be mystified by what I'm about to say.
      =
      rem`i`nisce
      remi'nis
      v[I] talk, think, or write about enjoyable experiences in your past
      -
      Ross and Cassie reminisced about their childhood.
      Howard Wolowitz used to reminisce about his days in the space station.
      Whitney went over to Kyle's last night to pick up a few things and they got to reminiscing.
      I want something to look forward to, not just something to reminisce about.
      =
      ver`ti`go
      'və:tigəu
      n[U] a feeling of spinning round and being unable to balance
      -
      Vertigo (from the Latin vertō "a whirling or spinning movement") is a subtype of dizziness in which a patient inappropriately experiences the perception of motion (usually a spinning motion) due to dysfunction of the vestibular system.
      It is often associated with nausea and vomiting as well as a balance disorder, causing difficulties with standing or walking.
      There are three types of vertigo.
      The first is known as objective and describes when the patient has the sensation that objects in the environment are moving.
      The second type of vertigo is known as subjective and refers to when the patient feels as if they are moving.
      The third type is known as pseudovertigo, an intensive sensation of rotation inside the patient's head.
      While this classification appears in textbooks, it has little to do with the pathophysiology or treatment of vertigo.
      Acrophobia is an extreme or irrational fear of heights.
      "Vertigo" is the opening track and first single from U2's 2004 album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.
      =
      pre`dom`i`nate
      pri'dɔmineit
      v[I] have more power, influence, or importance than other things or people ¶ be superior in numbers, strength, etc
      -
      At around the age of nine peer relationships seem to predominate. Primary schools often find that bullying increases around this age as children jostle for position with peers.
      In eighteenth-century English accounts Gypsies were generally lumped together with Irish travellers and vagrants. But by the nineteenth century a series of powerful romantic notions about Gypsy life began to predominate.
      Women were also more likely than men to work in occupations in social services, education, government services and religion, and in health. In contrast, men continued to predominate in occupations in trades, transport and equipment operators and, to a lesser extent, in occupations in the natural and applied sciences; management; and occupations unique to manufacturing, processing and utilities.
      The "linear, goal-oriented" sex that predominates in the West does not take sufficient account of women's extreme sensitivity to the emotional conditions in which sex takes place.
      Although bank notes began to be issued from the late seventeenth century, they did not come to predominate over coins until the nineteenth century.
      =
      ben`e`fac`tor
      'benifæktə
      n[C] sb who gives money for a good purpose, patron, sponsor
      -
      United Way is thrilled to be the benefactor of this amazing event and we hope there is a lot of fun had while doing such a great thing for our community.
      We chose Young Enterprise as the benefactor of our donation as it is an organisation we have worked with on numerous occasions as part of our wider mentoring support.
      She is the benefactor of many humanitarian causes and an outspoken protagonist in the fight against drug abuse (especially in regards to children) and "pushers".
      Curious about his benefactor, the third night he watched and caught Nicholas in the act but he was told not to reveal the Saint's identity or generosity.
      Phoebe is identified as a benefactor to many, including Paul.
      =
      $